Friday, May 21, 2010

Strawberry Season!

Last weekend, we took a trip to a nearby orchard that has strawberries during May.
The trip was amazing.
No one in my family had ever been to a strawberry patch and picked strawberries directly from the vine!


We walked away with 11 lbs of freshly picked strawberries!
I think had the kiddos not grown so tired, we would have gotten more.

I learned several things while there, and I wanted to share in case you are able to pick strawberries!

**Tip Number 1**
Do not wear white.

 I don't care how determined you are to stay cool (white reflects light) or match your daughter's white and red plaid dress - white is not a good idea.

I will state the obvious.  Strawberry juice is very staining!

**Tip Number 2**
Take some form of wet wipe or baby wipe with you. 

I don't care if your husband makes fun of you for taking your suitcase sized purse filled with wipes, take the wipes with you.  Doing so will help prevent further handprints, as forementioned in Tip Number 1.

**Tip Number 3**
Use a garden knee mat.
if you have one.  If not, go to Tarjay and buy one from their dollar spot.

My knees were wet and dirty from resting my knees after growing tired of crouching.

**Tip Number 4**
Take a snack and water for your kiddos.
Children will grow tired of being at the patch quickly.  Having  a snack (no, they will not get filled up from strawberries....they will only want something different to eat).

**Tip Number 5**
Do not fall for the unique beauty of large berries. 
My husband was amazed and picked many berries that were larger than normal.  These berries are not as sweet and delicious as the smaller berries.

**Tip Number 6**
Do not pick more berries than you can actually use.
Fresh berries spoil quickly!  Have some idea of what you intend to do with the berries and how many you need in order to not waste your time, hard work and money! 

No worries though! 
I have a few strawberry recipes to share so you will have an idea of where to start with the berries!

One of my favorite things is to slice strawberries, and toss with spinach leaves and red peppers.
Check back later for more! 

And if you go strawberry picking, have a wonderful time!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

How much exactly does it cost to go to a strawberry patch? and where was this one?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails