Friday, May 21, 2010

Strawberry Puree!

Fresh strawberries will keep longer if you:
1) Do not wash until you are ready to eat
2) Do not cut the strawberries until you are ready to use

Keep this in mind when you put them in the fridge!
I wanted to puree strawberries for a recipe (I will be posting later).

I am going to show you how to do it.
Rinse well, and cut off the green tops.

Separate according to 1 cup portions to give you an idea of what you are working with...
1 cup of whole strawberries is not the same as 1 cup pureed strawberries. 

I am thinking it was 1 1/5 cups of whole strawberries equates to 1 cup pureed.

Enlist the help of your children to help slice.
Wait! 
Children shouldn't use knives!

No worries, he is using a child safe butter knife!

Throw your strawberries in the blender and push the puree button.
The blender knows exactly what to do!

Once you have a liquid, you can use it as you please!
Recipes for baking! 
Pour over angel food cake or french toast!

I also wanted to freeze some puree for later.

I had already planned what I would be using it for later.
*MOST* recipes call for 1 1/5 cups puered strawberries.

My recipes called for 2 cups.
I  measured 2 cup portions and placed into freezer bags.
Flatten the bag and smoosh the puree around, leaving room for expansion as it freezes.

Your finished product will look like this!


Find a flat object in your freezer and place on so the bag will retain its flat shape.
This is a fabulous space saving tip! 

There are a few cookbooks that encorporate pureed goods into the recipes for an added health benefit.
You puree any food in the same manner!
I own Deceptively Delicious (Thanks Lindsay!)
My friend Paige lives by The Sneaky Chef.

Check them out at your local library and let me know what you think!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails