Thursday, September 23, 2010

Coconut Cake With Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting

Since I have been busy organizing, I get to SEE what I actually have. 
In organizing my "baking" cabinet in the kitchen, I discovered that I had coconut. 
Now, I knew I had coconut, but I could never really SEE it....hidden behind the flour and the sugar. 

So I certainly wouldn't know that I had one bag that would expire in THREE days! 

I was intent on finding THE perfect coconut cake. 

So I turned to my Southern roots, after skimming several food sites. 

I used the recipe for a Coconut Sheet Cake - with a few modifications, listed below....

3 large eggs
1 (8 oz) container of low-fat sour cream
1/3 cup water
1 (15 0z) can of cream of coconut
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 package of white cake mix

Beat the eggs at high speed with an electric mixer 2 minutes.  Add sour cream, water, cream of coconut and vanilla, beating well after each addition.  Add cake mix, beating at low until blended.  Beat at high for 2 minutes.  Pour batter into greased and floured pan. 
Bake at 425* for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Cool the cake on wire rack.  Cover with plastic wrap and place in freezer for 30 minutes.  Remove from freezer. 

Spread Coconut-Cream Cheese Frosting on cake.  Store in the refrigerator. 

The cake is super-dooper moist and yummy.
And I promise it tastes better after being in the fridge!

Enjoy!

****************************
Ooops, here is the recipe for the frosting!

Coconut-Cream Cheese Frosting

1 (8 oz) package cream cheese at room temperature
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
3 Tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (16 0z) package powdered sugar
1 (7 oz) package of flaked coconut

Beat cream cheese and butter until creamy  Add milk and vanilla.  Beat well.  Add sugar slowly, beating until smooth.  Stir in coconut. 
Spread over cake.

1 comment:

TS said...

Thanks Devon, I can't wait to try it. You are so creative! Here is the recipe for cream cheese brownies
You don't have to use betty croker mix, its just abt adding the cream cheese to your brownie mix! Enjoy :) Let me know what you think.

CREAM CHEESE SWIRL BROWNIES

1 pkg. (21 1/2 oz.) Betty Crocker Fudge Brownie Mix
1 pkg. (3 oz.) cream cheese, softened
2 tbsp. butter, softened
1/4 c. sugar
1 tbsp. Gold Medal all- purpose flour
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 egg

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 13x9x2 inch pan. Prepare brownies as directed on package, except 2/3 of dough, and spread in pan. Beat cream cheese and butter in small bowl on medium speed until fluffy. Beat in sugar gradually. Beat in remaining ingredients until smooth. Spread over dough in pan. Drop remaining dough by tablespoons on to cream cheese mixture. Swirl lightly with spatula for marble effect. Bake 35 to 40 minutes; cool. Cut into about 1 1/2 inch squares. Makes 48 brownies.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails